tabs

  • Home
  • Dairy Free
  • Gluten Free

    Friday, December 11, 2009

    Peppermint Patties
    I made these peppermint patties with three of my younger siblings, Joy, Laurel, and Levi.  We had a lot of fun!  




     Ingredients: 
    • 1 8-oz. package cream cheese, softened
    • 9 cups powdered sugar
    • 2 teaspoons peppermint extract  (The original recipe calls for 1 tsp. but I think 2 would be better)
    • 1-1/2 cups semi-sweet OR dark chocolate chips
    • 1/4 cup dark chocolate
    • 3 Tablespoons, and 1 teaspoon shortening

    In a mixer, beat cream cheese and peppermint extract until smooth.  Slowly beat in the powdered sugar.  The dough will be very stiff.  Between two pieces of parchment paper, roll out a portion of the dough until it is about about 1/4 inch thick. (I used an actual peppermint patty to decide the thickness.)  Continue this until all the dough is used.  (Wrap the remaining dough in plastic wrap to keep it from drying out.)  Use a small cup (a medicine cup works well) and cut out small circles.

    Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  Freeze for 1/2 hour.  Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the semi-sweet or dark chocolate chocolate chips and 3 Tablespoons shortening.  Stir constantly until smooth; remove from heat immediately.  Drop frozen patties in chocolate one at a time, and scoop them out with a fork.  Tap gently to remove excess chocolate.  Place back on parchment paper.  Chill.  To decorate, melt 1 teaspoon shortening with 1/4 cup very dark chocolate until smooth.  Drizzle on top of candies.  Store in the refrigerator.  Makes about 6 dozen patties.

    ~Samantha

    2 comments:

    1. I love peppermint patties and I think I am going to make some of these....................Grandma Sandra

      ReplyDelete
    2. The dark chocolate on top is Lindt, 90% cacao. Very dark! I wanted to use white chocolate with green or red food coloring, but we don't have any white chocolate! So I settled for the dark...it looks cool. I'm glad you might try it! Let me know how they turn out if you do try them.

      ReplyDelete